Acts Of Modesty
ANDREA DEL SARTO
Madonna of the Harpies (detail)
1. O God of infinite Majesty since thou art in every place: I resolve to do all my actions with modesty, as before thee.
2. Most modest Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, I resolve never to look after any thing, that may induce me to offend thee.
3. Since thou Lord of infinite Majesty, before who Angels do fear, and tremble, art every where, and in all places present, grant I beseech thee, that I may never do any thing, which may not beseem me to do before thee.
4. Most modest Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, I intend to deprive my self of looking upon any thing that is curious in the world the more to please thee.
5. Preserve me dear Lord from curious looking after worldly being.
6. I resolve from hence forward (sweet Jesus) never to look upon any thing that may distract my thoughts from thee my infinite good.
7. Beloved Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, I intend to deprive my self many times from looking upon those things, which may lawfully be seen: that with thy grace O may merit at the end of my life to see thee eternally
8. I desire sweet Saviour, that I might be rather blind, then use mine eyes to offend thee.
Fr. Thomas Doughty 1623
ACTS OF OBEDIENCE
ACTS OF CHASTITY, AND CONTINENCY
ACTS OF POVERTY
ACTS OF PENANCE, OR CONTRITION
ACTS OF GRATITUDE
ACTS OF MAGNANIMITY
ACTS OF PERSEVERANCE