11:40 AM - 12:58 PM: Salvador Ramos Was In Robb Elementary For 1 Hour, 18 Minutes! Where Were The Police?

Time for answers....

Police: Texas gunman was inside the school for over an hour

UVALDE, Texas (AP) — It was 11:28 a.m. when the Ford pickup slammed into a ditch behind behind the low-slung Texas school and the driver jumped out carrying an AR-15-style rifle. Twelve minutes after that, authorities say, 18-year-old Salvador Ramos was in the hallways of Robb Elementary School. Soon he entered a fourth-grade classroom. And there, he killed 19 schoolchildren and two teachers in a still-unexplained spasm of violence. At 12:58 p.m., law enforcement radio chatter said Ramos had been killed and the siege was over. What happened in those 90 minutes, in a working-class neighborhood near the edge of the little town of Uvalde, has fueled mounting public anger and scrutiny over law enforcement’s response to Tuesday’s rampage. On Thursday, authorities largely ignored questions about why officers had not been able to stop the shooter sooner, with Victor Escalon, regional director for the Texas Department of Public Safety, telling reporters he had “taken all those questions into consideration” and would offer updates later. Source


11:40 a.m. Ramos walks into the west side of Robb Elementary School and shoots multiple rounds. He then enters the building through an unlocked door. "We will find out as much as we can why it was unlocked — or maybe it was locked. But right now, it appears it was unlocked," Victor Escalon, the South Texas regional director for the state's Department of Public Safety, said at a news briefing Thursday. He added that Ramos shot most of his victims within the first few minutes of entering the school.

11:43 a.m. Robb Elementary School announces a lockdown. The Uvalde Police Department shares information on Facebook.

11:44 a.m. The Uvalde Police Department and the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District Police Department move inside the building. The officers hear gunfire and are shot at, moving back to get cover. "The majority of the gunfire was in the beginning," Escalon said. "I’d say numerous — more than 25. It was a lot of gunfire in the beginning." Sporadic shots continue as police attempt negotiations.

12:17 p.m. The Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District announces the shooting on social media: "There is an active shooter at Robb Elementary. Law enforcement is on site. Your cooperation is needed at this time by not visiting the campus. As soon as more information is gathered it will be shared. The rest of the district is under a Secure Status."

By the time the warning went out, parents were gathering at the school, demanding action. Derek Sotelo, 26, whose family owns a tire shop nearby, said that after hearing shots, he was outside the school with a friend whose son is a student and who was frantically trying to get police to go in — or go in himself.

“He was right in the officer’s face, like, ‘Man, give me your vest. You’re not doing nothing with it! Give me that vest, and I’ll go in and kill that guy.'

Many parents were angry about the officers not rushing inside, he said. “Everyone was like, ‘What’s going on? What the heck’s going on? Why aren’t they going in? What are they waiting for?' ”

Videos posted on social media, apparently filmed outside the school during the attack, show law enforcement officials drew weapons on parents and pinned one parent to the ground to prevent them from entering the building.

12:23 p.m. Parents are told to pick up children at Uvalde's Sgt. Willie de Leon Civic Center.

12:45-1 p.m. U.S. Border Patrol tactical teams arrive, breach the classroom and kill Ramos. Escalon, the Texas public safety spokesman, could not say why it took an hour for a federal special weapons team to enter the classroom and kill the gunman.

1:06 p.m. The Uvalde Police Department reports the suspect is "in police custody."

'The police were doing nothing': Uvalde police handcuffed and pepper-sprayed parents, who urged them to storm the school, including the dad of a murdered girl and a mom-of-two who got free, jumped a fence and rescued her kids herself  

Uvalde police are facing new criticism over first-hand accounts and videos showing them handcuffing and restraining frantic parents, who were urging them to storm the Robb Elementary school building amid the massacre.  'The police were doing nothing,' Angeli Rose Gomez told the Wall Street Journal. 'They were just standing outside the fence. They weren't going in there or running anywhere.'  Gomez has two children in second and third grade and she reportedly drove 40 miles to the school after hearing of the attack. the school.   Eventually, federal marshals put Gomez in handcuffs and told her she was under arrest for intervening in an active investigation, the Wall Street Journal reported. Gomez said she was able to convince a Uvalde officer whom she knew to have the marshal free her and she took the opportunity to move away from the crowd, jump the school fence, and ran inside the school where she rescued her children herself.  She said that other parents also trying to get to their kids were tackled and even pepper-sprayed by police.   Angel Garza, whose daughter was killed, was handcuffed after trying to run into the school when he heard that a 'girl called Amerie' had been shot.   Garza later told his heartbreaking story to Anderson Cooper.   He explained that when he arrived on the scene he tried to help a young girl covered in blood, because he is a trained medic.   The girl explained she wasn't hurt and the blood was from her best friend 'Amerie.' It was then that Angel realized the blood he was looking at came from his own daughter.  He later found out that she was among those who died.  Source


Popular Posts